I’ve been working in the psychiatric field for over ten years now, and I love it; to know you helped a person’s life is such a rewarding job. But for the last two years I’ve been feeling a slight void that I couldn’t ignore any longer. I’ve always been a creative person, from painting murals throughout my hometown of Newark, to getting my poetry published in books. I found myself missing the creative process, though. So I was left with one question, “How can I still help others while being artistically creative?”
Recently on a train ride into New York City I was approached by someone on who asked me if I was a makeup artist. I have to admit, I blushed but the answer was, “no.” It was at that very moment that a light bulb ignited in my mind. Should I get into makeup artistry? Ever since the Great Recession, expensive education has received a bad name. Many graduates can’t find work and when they do, they start at an entry level rate requiring a minimum of a high school degree. I don’t want to quit my job, but I do want to juggle a second career where I can fill my creative void while having an additional income, all the while helping others. That would be a dream come true!
- Cosmetology School & Makeup Artistry Schools are totally different: if makeup is what you want to specialize then find a makeup artistry school.
- Pick a school that has a great reputation and is a credited: you don’t want to invest in a program where you learn nothing and have to reinvest in another program.
- Find a school that covers the business aspect of makeup: learn how to run your independent business and become your own boss.
- You can further your education within the industry: makeup doesn’t just end with making people look pretty. You can also get into Special FX and create anything your imagination drives you to!
- Business career development
- Fundamentals & etiquette
- Gain experience & contacts
- Professional makeup kit starter
- Learning components of makeup ingredients
- Skill of applying makeup on others
- Practice the right way, not your way
- Artistry development
- Business development
Look for a makeup school that fits what you’re looking for! I found mine and I’ll be starting class this Monday at The School of Makeup Effects in South Amboy. I’m so excited and nervous! I’ll be video blogging the experience on: My YouTube Channel – Click Here! Make sure to subscribe and look out for a lot more makeup tutorials.
GM!!! READ LINK IN MY IG BIO???? Guess who's going back to school? MEE !!!! I start today !!! and I'll be blogging my experience, how I found the school & why I choose the fundamental art of makeup. PS I'll still be working at the psych ER. I don't think I'll ever quit that. 10yrs strong working for the same hospital that rocks bc of the flexible schedule they give me. Thank you @angelica_bbms & @schoolofmakeupeffects ???? #BBMS #makeupstudent #makeupschool #backtoschool #makeup #makeupartist