Memorial Day weekend is right around the corner which means outdoor parties are coming into full swing. Lighting up the grill may be considered the main event, but the side dishes are what people love to pile onto their plates. All the classics, such as potato salad and cole slaw, will be ready for their debut. If you are feeling like adding another star side to your line-up, I have a couple of options to help make your BBQ the ultimate summer soiree!
Prosciutto and Melon Bruschetta
1 French Baugette, sliced
1 melon, such as cantaloupe, peeled, sliced then diced
2 tablespoons basil, chopped
¼ cup shallots, minced
3 tablespoons of Olive Oil, divided
Salt and Pepper to taste
12 slices of prosciutto
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Arrange the slices of bread on a baking sheet and brush with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cook in the oven for about 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. Set aside
- In a bowl combine the melon, shallots, basil, salt, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Wrap each piece of bread with a piece of prosciutto. You may find that you only need half of a piece of prosciutto for each piece of bread.
- Spoon the melon mixture on top of each piece of bread. Then drizzle with Balsamic Glaze.
Wilted Arugula, Cherry, Goat Cheese, and Whole Grain Brown Rice Salad
1 9-ounce package of VeeTee Whole Grain Brown Rice
1 ½ cups of Arugula packed
1 cup cherries, halved and pitted
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/8 tsp of granulated sugar
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- Combine cherries, and the tarragon in a large bowl.
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Add the rice to the bowl with the cherries. Then add in your Arugula gently folding in. The heat from the rice will wilt the Arugula as you fold it in.
- Whisk together the vinegars, sugar, salt and pepper and olive oil and pour over the bowl. Mix to incorporate.
- Place the contents of the bowl onto a platter if so desired or serving bowl. Sprinkle the goat cheese over top and serve!
For more summer side ideas visit: http://www.dishitgirl.com