On June 3, the world lost one of the greatest fighters to ever enter the ring: Muhammed Ali. Born Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr., the legendary three-time lineal world heavyweight champion was known for his impeccable moves, 57 knockouts, philanthropy, his outspoken personality, activism and kind heart.
Not only was he quick on his feet, but Muhammed was also good with his words too. This list highlights 12 quotes from “The People’s Champ” that will motivate you to push yourself harder and continue fighting for better.
1. He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.
2. Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they’ve been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It’s an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It’s a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.
3. Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.
4. I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.’
5. Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.
6. It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe.
7. Don’t count the days; make the days count.
8. If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it—then I can achieve it. (Originally stated by Jesse Jackson in 1983, but used in Muhammed Ali’s 2004 book)
9. A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.
10. The man who has no imagination has no wings.
11. I know where I’m going and I know the truth, and I don’t have to be what you want me to be. I’m free to be what I want.
12. Live every day like it’s your last because someday you’re going to be right.