On Sunday, Melissa Gorga had a chat with AM970s’s Franco Porporino (owner of her favorite restaurant Fresco) earlier today for Brunching With Franco and she spilled some juicy information with listeners. The 37-year-old Montville resident revealed her true feeling towards the newest Real Housewives of New Jersey cast members, set the record straight on her ethnic background and disclosed her favorite fashion pieces.
Here’s 15 things we learned about the happily married mother of three:
1. She was scouted for the show through Facebook.
2. Melissa was born and raised in Toms River until she was 16. She moved to Boca Raton Florida after her father died and lived there for a couple of years.
3. Melissa graduated from NJCU with BA in children’s education. She had aspirations of being a teacher.
4. She met her husband Joe Gorga during her senior year of college in 2003. Their love blossomed overnight and the two got married in 2004. Two months after getting married, Melissa got pregnant.
5. Despite the constant speculation, Melissa is a full-blooded Italian. Some people think I’m mixed, but I’m Italian. “A lot of people think that, because of my skin tone. People have thought that about since I was younger. I’ve had people say I’m half black and half white or Dominican. My maiden name is Marco.
6. Until she met Joe, she called the red stuff on pasta gravy. Now she calls it sauce. Growing up as a kid, her family would always make “Sunday gravy.”
7. She vowed to never marry an Italian, but Joe changed her mind completely.
8. According to Melissa, the show is not scripted. “Do they put you in certain situations, yes, but what you say and do is on you. We are not told to say or do anything.”
9. Views on the new housewives: “Siggy Flicker is full of energy, she has a lot to say. Dolores Catania is old school and a really good person. I’ve known her since I started dating Joe. They’re both so different. They have two completely different personalities but they’re best friends themselves.”
10. Whether Kim D. will make an appearance on the show: I think they just let her come on and drop bombs. She doesn’t really care…she has nothing to lose. Kim does Kim.
11. Views on the new season: “I think season 7 is gonna be very new and fresh. It’s going to give you an old school vibe of the housewives that everyone loves. I think it’s an awesome season. We have everything. If you want to cry we have moments that will make you cry. If you want to laugh we have a lot of moments that will make you laugh. If you want awkward situations, the show is full of them.”
12. Teresa Giudice’s time in prison was very difficult for Melissa and the family. “It was a really hard year to get through. She’s so strong. You’re going to see a lot of that unfold on the show. There’s not much worse.”
13. Favorite things to wear: “Rompers and maxi dresses are a must! I love to be feminine. I love to look like a lady. I always say if you’re going to show cleavage, don’t show a lot of leg. If you’re going to show your mid-region, don’t show a lot of the other areas. I like just a little bit of everything, but I also believe in keeping it classy as well.”
14. Her favorite place to go down the shore: “We go to Toms River and Seaside Heights usually. We have a house on the bay in Toms River, so we’ll go crabbing and cook out. It’s my favorite time of the year.”
15. Although she doesn’t really party down the shore anymore, her favorite places to go were D’Jais in Belmar, The Headliner in Neptune City and Karma Nightclub in Seaside Heights.