For some kids, going back to school can be a buzzkill to an awesome summer free from homework and textbooks. For parents, it means making sure your child[ren] has everything he or she needs to take on another school year. You know the drill. There are school supplies recommended by teachers, and then there’s all the really cool stuff your child actually wants. Want to be the cool parent? Don’t even think about suggesting No. 2 pencils and marble notebooks. They’re so 1990.
Step up you child’s back to school game with supplies that will help them tackle assignments, while letting them stand out like a rockstar in the classroom.
Here’s some essentials with a twist that are trendy, fun and totally kid-approved (from above):
- Pencil cup and glasses holder by New Jersey artist Lenny Mug (sold via Etsy)
- ban.do Gel Yeah Assorted Pen Set
- Wide Post-it Notes Sticky Tab Notes
- Betsey Johnson Hoagie Roll Pencil Case
- Etch-A-Sketch Notebook
- Crayola 12-Count Colored Pencils
- Crayola® Washable Paint Brush Pens
- Novelty Donut Pen
- ban.do “i am very busy” Notebook
- LEGO® Colored Pencils
Since homework comes with the territory, encourage your child to get involved with back to school shopping by letting them pick out fun writing tools. To combat the hectic start of a new school year, load backpacks with colorful pencils and brush pens.
- Pokemon Ball Backpack
- Pokemon Picachu Plush Lunch Box
- Vans Nintendo Game Over Backpack
- Snow White Crossbody Handbag by Danielle Nicole Handbags
- Tinker Bell Crossbody Handbag by Danielle Nicole
- Smiley Emoji Key Ring
- Fuzzy Emoji Graphic Key Chain
- MADEWELL Pintrill® Emoji Pin
- Tervis Emoji All Over Collage Wrap Tumbler with Lid
- Star Wars R2-D2 Bento Lunch Box
- Loungefly Star Wars Comic Panel Pencil Case
- Nintendo Game Boy Color Lunch Box Cooler
- “Professional Fan Girl” Mug
Character-themed accessories are among this year’s hottest trends for young kids. Whether your child gets a thrill out of hunting down Pokemon, loves the whimsical world of Disney, or wants to be a Star Wars Jedi, retailers throughout New Jersey, and online, are stocked with cartoon and movie-inspired products.
Top Picks: Gamers will feel like Ace Ketchum wearing a Pokemon-themed backpack. Or, your texting teenager can express their mood via random Emojis with these awesome Tervis tumblers found at Bed Bath and Beyond throughout Bergen, Essex, Union and Hudson counties. And your child will be excited to see what you’ve packed for lunch in an R2-D2 lunchbox!
- Beats by Dr Dre Solo 2.0 Headphones in Blue
- Converse Chuck Taylor All-Star Low Top Sneaker
- Under One Sky Women’s Plaid Drawstring Bag
- Black Faux Leather Backpack
- Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 Instant Film Camera
- Casetify Drake “Hotling Bling” iPhone Case
- Casetify Back To School Stationary Art iPhone Case
- Ankit Pastel Flower Headphones
- Little Book of Big Ideas Notebook
- Locker Style Dry Erase Value Pack
- Post-it Pop-up Note Camera Dispenser
If you are a parent to a teen, then back to school shopping takes on a whole new meaning. Sure they need essentials, but style and pop culture is what their peers are studying. No doubt, your teenager is a master at taking selfies and might have a minor obsession with their phone. If that’s the case, better brush up on your music and entertainment news because they are going to want to look the part, and have awesome tech accessories to match.
Top Picks: Have your child call you on their cell phone… just like Drake would with this “Hotline Bling” iPhone Case from Caseify. Plus, a pair of Converse sneakers are never not in style.
Jen Jeffery is a Garden State fashion blogger who knows how to stand out. Check out her blog House Of Jeffers where she tells it like it is, creating outfit posts on a realistic budget that her readers can replicate, too.