On Saturday, people from all over New Jersey came together to help raise suicide prevention awareness and funds for Saddle Brook’s Out of the Darkness Community Walk at Saddle River Co. Park-Otto C. Pehle Park. All the proceeds will go to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP), which is currently investing in new search, creating educational programs, supporting survivors of suicide loss and advocating for public policy.
Those who came out were greeted with specially selected beads and decorations to further explain their reasoning for supporting the cause. Various colors were associated with their very own unique meaning.
- White: loss of a child
- Red: loss of a spouse/partner
- Gold: loss of a parent
- Orange: loss of a sibling
- Purple: loss of a relative or friend
- Silver: loss of a first responder/military
- Green: if you’ve personally struggled with it or attempted
- Blue: suicide prevention ally
- Teal: a friend or family member of someone who has struggled with it or attempted
Check out pictures from the October 23 event: