Chef Jamie Knott of Saddle River Inn has a number of achievements on his resume including recently being named by OpenTable as one of the top 100 restaurants in the country and one of the best restaurants for a special occasion by NJ.com. His dishes are hearty and filled with seasonal ingredients making them perfect any time of year. So, we had to know some of his secrets.
Luckily, the busy chef was kind enough to share one of his favorite easy weeknight recipes that will wow your family. “This pasta dish is called Pappardelle a la Telefono because the strands of mozzarella created what looks like a telephone cord once melted,” he told OMJ. “It is delicious, quick, easy, and the kids love it. It can also be made vegetarian if you like.”
Check out the chef-worthy recipe below:
Buy a good brand of pappardelle
1 can of jersey fresh crushed tomatoes
1 ball smoked or regular mozzarella
1 bunch basil
1 medium onion diced
1 ball fresh mozzarella small dice
1 bunch fresh basil chiffonade
4 cloves garlic crushed and chopped
3 oz olive oil
1 can jersey fresh tomato or your favorite brand
1 packet of pappardelle fresh
5 Tsp kosher salt
4 oz olive oil
1. In a heavy bottom pot heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add the diced onion, 1 Tbs salt, and red chile flake. Cool stirring constantly for 15 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes stirring.
4. Then add the tomatoes and cook for 25 minutes over medium heat stirring every 2-4 minutes.
5. Meanwhile in a large pot of water add 3 Tbs salt and a splash of olive oil.
6. When the water is at a rolling boil drop the pasta for proper cooking time as instructed in package, if fresh should take 3 minutes.
7. Strain pasta once cooked and put the pot back on the stove.
8. Add some of the tomato sauce to the pot and toss with the cooked pasta.
9. Then toss with the mozzarella cheese, basil, and Parmesan.
10. Add tomato sauce as needed for desired consistency.
11. Plate equal amount in a bowl, add a little mozzarella, basil and parmesan cheese atop each pasta for garnish.
*You can also add grilled diced chicken to recipe.